The January meeting was called to order at 2:10 p.m. by President Judy Nordstrom. Attendees included Paula Briney, Martin and Malcolm Kuhn, Katie and Anastasia Keim, Teresa Litchfield, Alice Martin, Marilyn Weber, Jordan Wilton and Leslie Burket. Jeanne Craver joined us later.
Treasurer Report - Katie Keim Reporting
- Current Bank Balance: $7,232.19
- CD Balance: $25,697.10
- CLD had a profitable year, showing a net profit of $518.73!
- 1099’s have been mailed
- Katie is preparing the 990-N for submission to the IRS.
Kelly reports that we have 43 members.
Webmaster Report - Martin Kuhn Reporting
- Three email newsletters have been sent since the last meeting.
- There were 144 subscribers with about 50% of subscribers opening the emails.
- Traffic on the website is down by about half since December.
Social Media - Jordan Wilton Reporting
- CLD Facebook has 565 likes, an increase of over one hundred likes.
- Twitter followers increased a bit to 41.
Alice said our next issue of The Reader will be issued within a couple of days.
Teresa has a reminder for all riders: The last date to submit scores for year end scores for 2017 will be October 15, 2017. Scores received after that date will not be eligible for 2017 awards.
- It was suggested that we start scoping out locations for our awards banquet while there are still options. Leslie suggested the Springfield Motor Boat Club. Steve Todd is a member and said they have a great chef, do their own cooking and the environment is quite pleasant. We will follow up.
- The date for the Awards Banquet will be November 4th, 2017.
- The IceBreaker show will be at Tower Hill on April 22nd, 2017.
- The FireCracker show date will be July 8th, 2017.
- Teresa has volunteered to do all the pre-show manager tasks for both shows. However, she will need a day manager on show day to cover for the time while she rides.
- Jordan volunteered to work with Teresa for IceBreaker.
- Teresa will contact Nancy Rosse to see if she would like to help with FireCracker.
Horse Fair – March 3, 4, 5 2017
- Paula Briney shared with us what information she has about the Horse Fair at the IL Fairgrounds.
- The estimated cost for the Coliseum renovation is $8.5m. No current timelines for repairs.
- There is activity around the Food-Arama area, including the addition of footing.
- The north and south (long) sides of the covered arena are scheduled to be enclosed. Nothing will be done to the east and west (short) ends. The date of this update is not currently known.
- CLD will sponsor the Melanie Michalak freestyle clinic. Paula Briney is the clinic organizer.
- There was some discussion about having a ‘ride a test’ clinic at a future Horse Fair.
- Alice moved and Marilyn seconded that CLD purchase a $200 Horse Fair sponsorship that will include six day passes. The vote passed.
- Paula suggested we consider cancellation insurance due to the many fairground renovations that could impact our show.
- As our June show may be smaller than usual, we may want to secure additional sponsorships to help cover our expenses.
- Charles Craver, a landmark in the Arabian horse world, passed away on December 30th, 2016. To honor this great horseman, there will be a Memorial on April 15th, 1pm, at the Sangamon County Fairgrounds. Contact Alice Martin for additional information.
- Judy attended the Round Table discussion at the 2017 USDF Convention in hopes of securing some new ideas on how to increase GMO membership. Although she garnered some ideas, CLD will be looking to membership for new ideas to generate more volunteers from our club members.
- StarWest will host a CLD Education evening and potluck on Saturday, February 11th at 5:30 p.m. We encourage all members to join us for this evening of good friends and great food. Kate and Martin will inspire us with a discussion on Setting Our Goals.
- Jeanne Craver needs the information to compile the 2017 CLD Omnibus by February 25th.
- Martin is planning on updating and consolidating online nomination and score submission forms.
- To keep our job descriptions current, Judy requested board members update their position descriptions.
Our next meeting will be on Sunday, February 19th, 2017, 2pm in the StarWest Lounge. The March meeting will be on Saturday, March 25th at 2pm in the StarWest Lounge.
Marilyn motioned and Paula seconded for the unanimous 3:36pm adjournment.
Respectfully Submitted, Leslie Burket CLD Secretary